Thursday, February 18, 2010

my student teacher's list of epiphanies

I asked my student teacher, we'll call her Tatum, what she's learned so far about teaching. She was happy to respond. (Very insightful things here, person-we're-calling-Tatum. You're gonna do great!)

List of Epiphanies

Your lessons very rarely turn out the way that you planned. You are always revising or throwing things out between classes or even for the next time you teach it.

This may sound ignorant, but I thought that honors would be easier because they are advanced. I am finding out that they are almost more complicated that the other classes. I think in part it is because they know they are smart, and they have really test the waters. They require a lot of differentiation to be pushed and challenged. This class has definitely challenged me as a new teacher.

Not really an epiphany, but I have learned that students change a lot throughout the year. One student may have been extremely unmotivated at the beginning of the year and pulled a 180 by the end, or vice versa. It has been amazing to see the growth is some of them.

The relationships are hard. I have learned that it is hard to build a relationship with the students that can be both nice but strict (approachable vs. authoritative) I have established relationships with many of the students, but have struggled with "bringing the hammer down" on some of the kids.

It takes soooo much energy to teach! You have to be on your toes everyday. It is something that you have to become accustomed to.

Their minds and thoughts intrigue me! It is amazing how intelligent these kids really are. I didn't expect to learn so much from them.

Classroom management is something that teachers are always working on. There are a lot of techniques to try out and some work better than others.

You have to keep your students engaged or you will lose them! I have to work on my closings with this aspect. I have learned that while the time I want to give them to work on a paper is useful time, they do not always use it effectively. I have to give them less time for certain things.

Do the assignments yourself first! How much time did it take you?

I didn't expect it to be so hard teaching the content. I know how to do these things, but how do you break it down for someone else? This is something that I need to really work on. I do a lot of research on the topics before I teach it! I am guessing it becomes easier the longer you are teaching (hoping anyway).

Organization is key!! Know what you are teaching, know what the kids are doing, have a pocket of tricks just in case.

-Tatum D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home